Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Looking forward to the New Year, and little look back at 2012

Today is the first day of 2013 so I'm talking the opportunity to think about some running goals for 2013 as well as looking back over 2012 a little bit.

Firstly (and most recently), I managed to complete the December 2012 running streak that I set my self where I ran at least 1 mile each day in December.  I actually ended up totalling 140 miles (off of an initial target of 120) which is the largest monthly total to date.  At some point in the run up to the marathon I have planned in May 2013 I guess this will nudge closer to the 200 mark, but I'll see how that goes.

In terms of 2012 as a whole, it was kind of a year of three thirds from a mileage point of view!  The first third (Jan-April) I did very little running at all totalling about 120 miles in total.  I can't quite remember why this is to be honest, but I know I was going to the gym a fair bit at that time.  The second third (May-August) I did about the same amount of miles but I know I completed two events (more about below).  However, the final third (September-December) are where things really took off for me, and is directly related to me joining a running club - I did nearly 500 miles in that period.

I completed 3 races in 2012.
- The 24th June Torbay Half Marathon.   I did this in slightly over 2hrs and I felt awful!  I was pretty despondent at this time, but I was really proud of my wife who did the course in 1:55:56 which is a 5-min PB for her and is the first time she got under the 2hr mark.  She did brilliantly!  Looking back now, even though I was hoping for a 1:55 or under (which would have been a PB) I know I was no where near prepared for it and I was kidding myself that I was doing the required training.

- The 26th August Torbay 10K.  At this I did a PB of under 50 minutes for the first time (49:39) so I was really pleased (my previous PB was 51:06).  However, I also felt that I had a lot more in me - I remember thinking that I had found it difficult and also when I looked at the results for my age category, I was 21st out of 34 competitors which to be honest I wasn't happy with.  I also remember looking around me at fellow runners and a lot of them seemed to be enjoying their running and because they were wearing club vests (and hence being a member of a club) I made a correlation between "happy running" and "running club" and decided to join a club.  3 days later (29th August) I had joined the Teignbridge Trotters and had been on my first session with them!  Joining the club has been the best thing I've done from a running perspective, and I wish I'd joined years ago.

- The 21st October Dartmoor Vale Half.  At this point I had been in the Trotters for about 2 months and I know that I had already started to improve.  I entered this event which is on quite a tough hilly course got a PB (shaving over 5 mins off) with a time of 1:50:17.  This was 10-mins quicker that my June half and also a 5-min course record.  I was delighted with the time (okay, I was a little annoyed with the 17 seconds!) but I did flag around miles 10-12 so I know there is still room for improvement.   I'm sure the improvement that did come about was due to me joining the club.

Weight loss and drinking habits
Another change in the "final third" of the year is that I have dropped 1 stone in weight.  As I sit here on January 1st (and I confess a little bit groggy from last night), I'm at 13st 2...my previous "bench mark" for a healthy weight was 14st which happens to coincide with just about sneaking into the "healthy" BMI range, and is a weight that I used to fluctuate around quite a lot.  This coincided with the increased mileage but also by me restricting my alcohol intake considerably.  At one point I went 7 weeks without a drink which is a record for me in 20 years of drinking!  I will never be tea-total (and I don't want to be), but for me the restriction of alcohol has been a massive change.

So turning to goals for 2013:
- I would like to get down consistently below 13 stone.  I'm not obsessing about this though....if it happens, that's fine.  The 1 stone weight loss in the last third of 2012 came about very easily and I think with the increased mileage I'm planning I will probably get below 13st.
- Be wary of my alcohol intake and go for "streaks" of being tea-total (probably between holiday times).
- Crack a 1:45 for a half marathon.  I have two attempts planned - one in March and another in June.  This is my main "time challenge" of the year.
- Get around a full marathon and actually enjoy it (unlike London 2010)!!  A time of sub-4:30 would be great and I have a marathon booked in early May to focus the mind in early 2013!
- If I can get under 45-mins for a 10K that would be superb.  As I sit here typing, I think I'll find this the toughest time challenge but I'll see how I get on.  I have two events in mind - one in March and one in August.
- Keep it going with the Trotters.  Try and get a long to as many of the Wednesday training sessions as possible, do as many weekend social runs as I can and also do some marshalling if I am able to.  I think this will help me stay consistent with my training/running and slowly/safely build up the necessary miles for the events I have planned.
- I'd like to think I could rack up 1200-1500 miles this year.
- I really want to try and keep my back healthy, by stretching and generally being careful with it.  I did my back in during 2011 and it put me out for weeks - I really don't want to go through that again as it was very painful.  Although this is the last goal, for me it's the most important.  If I'm not feeling right, I will back off the training knowing that it could impact some or all of the above.

I know that's a long post, but thanks for reading and good luck with your running goals in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment