Saturday, January 12, 2013

Foam roller and iPod experiments

My achilles is feeling okay, so I'm planning an 8-10 miler tomorrow.  If it's still okay after that, I'll be back to the "normal" training next week, as although I will have done four runs this week they have all been at a purposefully slow/easy pace.  Also, I expect this will only be around 26-27 miles so I want to try and do 30-35 miles next week if possible with an LSR of around 13, and slowly build up the mileage over the next few weeks.

A few years ago, I used to run with an iPod but I found that I got a bit bored of it and used to settle into the rhythm of the music as opposed to running at whatever pace I wanted.  I'm going to try again tomorrow though, but this time listening to a Marathon Talk podcast and see how I get on with that.  If I find that I'm either not really taking the podcast in, or alternatively I find it too distracting I'll just turn the iPod off.  It's not that I don't enjoy running by myself and taking in the scenery etc, but I just feel like giving it a go to see how I get on.  If it works well, it will be a good way of "killing two birds with one stone".  I.E., getting the LSR in, plus listening to a podcast at the same time.

On a couple of the threads I follow on Runner's World, foam rollers have been mentioned and seem very popular with other runners.  I know that I have tight hamstrings and although I do stretch I never really feel that they get any looser.  I have been thinking about getting one for a little while as on some runs I feel that cardio-vascularly I'm feeling fine, but my legs feel "heavy" some how.  Therefore, for the sake of £10 delivered, I thought I'd order one so mine should be turning up from Amazon some time next week.  I'll report back here on how I find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment