Thursday, January 03, 2013

Running plan, plus achilles injury

I took some time yesterday to think a bit about a running schedule that would take me up to the marathon I have planned in early May.  I've been following and contributing to a thread on Runner's World where a marathon plan has been put together by someone (Shades) who has ran nearly 300 marathons so she obviously knows what she is doing!

I've tweaked it slightly to take into account of the following:

  • I want to keep a Wednesday session going if at all possible.  This is the main Wednesday club session where I'll probably run either a hill or speed session.  This will be a tough session for me.
  • I may move the Long Slow Runs to a Saturday as opposed to the Sunday.  This is so that I can try and get a long to some of the Saturday club social runs which I have enjoyed when I have attended.
  • 2 weeks will be down on the recommended mileage due a couple of events I have lined up.  These are a half marathon and a 10K.  I have checked with Shades and she has said I don't need to worry about making up the mileage on these race weeks.

One thing I notice with the plan is that a 5 mile tempo run is included on each week, and the tempo mileage doesn't increase through the schedule.  I did check this with Shades and she has recommended that I do not increase this mileage.  My problem (and it's a problem I think many runners face, and is definitely not an issue with the plan) is that I am worried that I won't know for sure how fast I can run if I don't increase the tempo mileage.  However, I think I need to have faith in the plan and trust that it works with the main focus being on the endurance/long runs.  Also, the Trotters Wednesday session will be a tough and quick session for me as well.  This will take some discipline for me to hold back on increasing these tempo miles.

The plan itself doesn't seem too bad with a maximum weekly mileage peaking at 43.  This is about 8 miles more than my previous weekly highest, and coincides with the longest run of the training plan which is a 22 miler.

Unfortunately, I have tweaked my right achilles slightly so I am actually off running for a few days with the hope that it will clear up in a few days.  I am aware that achilles can be problematic so I am a bit worried at this point, keeping in mind that I haven't actually started the plan yet!  I am hoping that I will be ready to start running again at the start of next week......fingers crossed.

Today was my first day back at work following the Christmas and New Year break, but at least it's a short 2-day week this week for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment