Friday, February 08, 2013

The big build up - Exeter Half Marathon this weekend

I now have my place in the Exeter Half Marathon after I transferred a number from a fellow Trotter who can no longer do the race.

Since my PB of 1:50:16 back in October I've shed a few pounds and also I feel I'm generally fitter/quicker so I'm hoping for a PB this weekend.  Getting my excuses in early, but the weather forecast doesn't look good currently, as there is the chance of snow and windy conditions according to the met office forecast.  Obviously if I get any PB I'll pleased, but the real test will be if I can sneak under the 1:45 time, which means averaging 8 min/miles for the race.  I expect I'll come in more around the 1:48 time, but we'll see how it goes on the day.

Unlike the race in October (Dartmoor Vale Half Marathon, which is hilly), this is billed as a pancake flat course so if it all comes together on the day I could do well.  It's funny though, because even with good preparation and improvements I think I've made recently, certain things are still out of my control. I.E., weather, how to handle a congested course and a case of runner's trots can all disrupt the best laid plans but this is the same for everyone so I'll just do my best, as always.

Shades from the Runner's World thread as said that she will look at my finish time and help with me my training paces for the marathon in May.  That will be good as it will then help me to properly focus on the correct LSR pace.  I have a strong suspicion that I'm still running them too quickly so if I see a great coach spell my paces out to me I think I will more likely try and stick to them.

Anyway, I've done my last run before the event which was a slow 5-miler with a couple of shorter faster sections, and it felt good!

No comments:

Post a Comment