Monday, February 04, 2013

It's not big and it's not clever!

I had a weekend off running and my wife and I had a weekend away, which was very nice.  We went out for a few drinks, saw a comedy show, had a nice meal out on the evening and a nice breakfast in the morning.

I did enjoy the weekend, but Sunday was more or less a write off due to the alcohol....!  I think I had 8 pints on the Saturday afternoon/evening and although the ales weren't particularly strong it really knocked me about on the Sunday.  It didn't help that we had some "noisy neighbours" at the hotel, so I didn't get a lot of sleep but it was the alcohol that was the main culprit for me feeling rough.

I had about 8 pints in around 9 hours.  In my previous "non-running" life, this wouldn't necessarily have been a huge amount for a 9-hour "session" so I think it shows my body is changing and it obviously didn't like the booze on Saturday.  I had plenty if fluid and got a reasonable night's sleep on Sunday so I'm feeling much better today and raring to go again.

On to this week.....

I am now entered into a half marathon on the 10th February.  It is a flat course, so I'm going to go for a PB.  We'll see how that goes!  Shades (from Runner's World) has said for me to go for the PB, and depending on the time she will help reassess my training paces (especially my LSR pace) to make sure I'm doing okay.

It's month two of Jantastic (Febulous), and after my 100% in January I'm aiming for it again in February so hopefully I'll stay injury free and keep on the plan.

Talking about the Runner's World forums, there are a lot of posts about people's first marathons and a lot of buzz/fears/concerns etc.  The forum has a competition where 6 (I think) forumites get some "personalised" training via the forum for a target-paced marathon.  I'm currently lurking on the sub-4 hour thread as if I get under 4 hours I'll be extremely pleased.  I'm in a bit if a dilemma as I've said all along that I just want to try and enjoy this one, and that is still the main aim!  However, I want to also do my best.  I think really what I mean is that I want to get through 18-20 and not blow up, but ideally run through the finish line with not much left in the tank...the proverbial "sprint finish" would be great.  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment