Saturday, February 16, 2013

18 mile run this morning....a good end to the running week, and a great start to a week's holiday!

I mentioned in my last post about the need to slow down on my long runs - I've even put a separate page on my blog so my paces are there for everyone to see!

Well, I'm pleased to say that I did the run in an average of 10:07 min/mile, which is pretty much bang on my LSR pace, so I've got to pleased with that.  I purposefully picked it up a bit on my last 2-miles (under 9min/mile) and I'm pleased that I felt strong at the end.

I tried a couple of other changes for this morning's run:
- although I have ensured I've been well hydrated all week, I have been wondering if I've been under-hydrating on the day of an LSR.  This morning before I set out I chugged down nearly 3 pints of water, as well as my coffee and shredded wheat.  I did need a pit stop at only mile 2 but other than that it was fine.  Obviously a slow 18-miler is much different to a race pace Half Marathon, but I'm hoping this change will do me well, particularly when the temperature start increasing.  I think I did "bonk" a bit at the event last weekend and I definitely didn't today.
- I binned the flapjacks in favour of 8 Jaffa Cakes, and I must say they went down a treat.  I just took them in a pocket and they were easy to eat and digest.

This all means that I've done 36.5 mile this week...if I include last Sunday's Half Marathon it's nearly 50 which is a record I think.

I put two Marathon Talk podcasts on my iPod Shuffle today and I timed it so they ran out just as I was finishing.  It all means that I'm still at 100% for Jantastic, and we're 50% through the challenge now.


Plus, my wife had made some pancakes for when I got back.

So, all in all a great run - I'm mark it as a 10 out of 10!  Even better is that I'm now on holiday for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment