Sunday, March 24, 2013

Exeter "wrap up and run" 10K

I'm pleased to say I did really well in the 10K today and my results are here.

With a 43:40 chip time, it's quicker that I've ever ran a 10K (by 6 minutes!) but it was down hill for the first 2K.  I reckon this is more like a 45 or 46min time and based on that it would still be a 3 or 4 minute PB so I'm really pleased overall.

Today was a bit odd, and another "lesson learned" for me.  I've written before that I usually get extremely nervous before a race, but I think I should qualify that in that I get really nervous before a race that I really want to do well in.  I've had this race on my calendar for a couple of months, but it wasn't an 'A-race' for me.  As such, I felt much more relaxed than usual on the start line, although I still went through all my usual preparations before a race (getting up a couple of hours early for food, stretching etc).  For this race, I had decided to go out quick and see if I could hold on knowing that if I blew up it wouldn't be the end of the world for me; really I was treating it as a training run, but I admit I was quietly confident.  If only I could take that confidence and not being nervous into other events, but I suppose that comes with experience.

That's the last race before North Dorset Village marathon, so I now have to get stuck into the training over the next few weeks with the priority on getting those LSRs completed at a slow pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment