Sunday, March 10, 2013

An extra run today

I got an extra run in today, which makes it the fifth run this week and the sixth in 8 days.  Also, the extra session takes me to over 41 miles this week and (with the Half Marathon from last week) it takes me to over 54 in 8 days.  I am wary of pushing it and getting injured, but I feel fine so I was happy to get the extra run in tomorrow knowing that it may end up being a rest day tomorrow.

I am due to do a 9-miler tomorrow but according to the weather forecast it's going to feel like -5 with gale force winds which I don't really fancy!  Today wasn't ideal conditions as it was quite cold and rainy but it was a good session.  There is a new cycle path that has opened near me so I ran along that and got 7.33 miles in.  I did get a bit lost getting back onto the main road so that slowed me down but I averaged 8:02 min/mile so I was really pleased with that.

Getting my long run in on the Friday this week maybe a good strategy in the future, but it is dependent on what time I manage to finish work on a Friday.  I have a few thoughts on this:

  1. It gets the run out of the way early in the weekend!
  2. I am obviously tired after a long run, but there is the potential of getting sleep soon after the long run, whereas that isn't possible if I do it early on a Saturday or a Sunday.  Anything over 18-ish does make me feel tired and can have a negative impact on the rest of the day if I do the LSR on a weekend morning.
  3. Doing the LSR on the Friday this week has enabled me to get a 5th run in this week.  Although I may not be able to do that every week (not wanting to risk injury, being too tired, not enough time etc) I do know that a 5-day a week training schedule can be more beneficial.
  4. Getting the long run in on a Friday does mean that I won't go out with the running club on their weekend LSRs.  Having said that, it has been a good few weeks since I've been with them on an LSR anyway; I think the last time I went out for an LSR with the club was on the Xmas social run on 28th December.  This is a shame actually, as I do enjoy the runs with the club.  However, I am finding that I am more able to control the pace I want to run at when I run by myself.
  5. Doing the LSR on a Friday does mean that I don't practice my morning fuel routine.


No comments:

Post a Comment