Monday, July 15, 2013

parkrun PB, plus a busy week planned.

I mentioned in a recent post that Barnstaple parkrun looked flat and fast.  My wife and I fancied a weekend away and we like the North Devon area so we decided to book into a hotel in Barnstaple with a view of doing the parkrun on the Saturday AM and relaxing the rest of the weekend.

I mentioned in that post that I thought Barnstaple would be fast and mentioned getting a 20.xx time.  Unfortunately, I was some way off of getting this time but I did manage a PB of 21:29.  It was only a 3-second PB, but it still counts.  It's interesting though as I genuinely though that Barnstaple would be significantly quicker than Killerton but it turns out I was wrong.

The splits were:

1 6:39.3
2 6:48.8
3 7:01.2
3.14 1:00.2 (Avg Pace: 7:04), with an overall average pace of 6:49.

Disappointingly, you can see that my second and third miles were significantly slower than the first mile, so there is something to work on there.  I would definitely do the Barnstaple parkrun again though, and I hope to keep chipping away at my time to see if can get that elusive 20.xx time.  To do that, I need to average around 06:45 for the 5K, although Barnstaple was very slightly long (according to my Garmin) which could be a slight issue for me.

Moving on to this week, I have got a slightly unusual week planned.  I am marshalling at a club event (the Haytor Heller) on Saturday and there is a "reccie run" on Wednesday which I am attending also, so I'll be doing 6-7 miles around Dartmoor on Wednesday evening.  It should be good, but I expect it's going to be quite hot and I don't love the off road stuff.  A fellow member owns a hotel near Haytor so we'll be going back to there for some food afterwards.

Other than that, I have the usual mix of  sessions planned with an 18 miler planned for the weekend.  We'll see how that goes, as I haven't really been enjoying this warmer weather from a running point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment