Friday, July 19, 2013

A hot week!

Everyone is enjoying the prolonged nice weather, including myself.  However, it's not good for running, but I'm doing my best to keep going.  I'm drinking plenty of water each day and I've completed each session so far this week.

Wednesday, was the "reccy run" of the Haytor Heller event which is put on by Teignbridge Trotters.  It's 6 miles on a tough trail course; I would say it's unrunnable for large parts of it, with large boulders/stones, very steep inclines/declines, a small river crossing etc.  However, I had a look at the course record, and it is under 40mins, which is actually quicker than I can run 6 miles on a nice, flat tarmac course which is a bit humbling.  The group that I was in ended up being the middle group, and we did stop a few times to let people catch up etc, but we took 90 minutes to do the course!  This was on a pleasant, dry evening, if a bit hot.  I can imagine it would have easily been 30mins longer if it had been raining heavily.

Generally, I don't like the offroad stuff but I did enjoy it last night even though it was very much a shuffle/walk/climb strategy that I adopted.  It was made even better that we all ended up at a hotel owned by a fellow Trotter near Haytor, which we had a meal and a couple of shandies.

I'm marshaling the event on Saturday so I hope I don't send the lead runners off in the wrong direction!  I can imagine it would very easy to do in the middle of nowhere on Dartmoor....  Below is the trace of my "reccy run".  The trace has gone wrong slightly, as the straight line shouldn't be there and is from the end of the route back to the hotel.



Thursday I did a 10-miler after work and it was extremely hot, but I'm pleased I got the miles in.  Also, I happened to find a crispy fiver on the floor, which helped give be a boost!  Tomorrow I'm planning a parkrun (plus the marshalling duties) and then I'm hoping to 18 on Sunday. I think the only way I'm going to get 18 in is if I get up early on the morning when it'll hopefully be cooler, so we'll see how that works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment