Saturday, January 25, 2014

Braunton 10

Two posts in one day......

I am doing the Braunton 10 tomorrow, which will be first 10 mile race so I'm guaranteed a PB presuming I don't DNF!!

The race is part of the club championship and it's described as "hilly".  From the race website:
"The first of two steep climbs so cut out the chat and dig in. Beware there are several bends on the climb that hide what is a long drag upwards, but it does end somewhere!"

The profile does look quite tough, but after 6 miles it's basically down hill to the finish, which is good news.


A summary is:
- it's an include to about 3 miles
- a steep hill from about 3 to 4 miles
- down hill from 4 to 5.2 miles
- a steep hill from 5.2 to 6.12 miles
- then down hill to the finish.

It is indeed very steep because when I compare this to the DMV marathon (which is itself steep!) this seems longer and possibly more severe.  DMV goes from 200ft to 400ft in about a mile and this goes from 200ft to 500ft in about a mile.

Having never done a 10 miler before, I'm not quite sure how to pace this one.  I plugged my recent 10K from Stoke Stampede into Macmillan and it suggests the below for 10M and 1/2 Marathon.


Bearing in mind that my A-race is a half marathon, I'd be really pleased if I can get close to 7:30min/mile tomorrow, but I can't really see it happening due to the hills.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment