Saturday, May 04, 2013

North Dorset Village Marathon - the final preparations!

Well, this time tomorrow I'll be well on my way in the North Dorset Village Marathon.  I'm feeling nervous already and wondering if I've forgotten something.  I have a long list at the top of this page, which I'm in the process of going through to make sure I don't forget anything.

Over the last couple of days I've been carb-loading for the event, and using the basic rule of trying to get 8-10g of carbs down for every 1Kg of body weight.  Getting that many carbs down me is difficult as I should be looking in the region of 700-800, but I've given it a good shot.  I didn't really measure it yesterday but on Thursday I had 4 tea cakes, a large bowl 75g bowl of porridge, 3 bananas, a large pasta-based meal, garlic bread, flapjack, 2 shredded wheat, juice and a sports drink which came to a mere 550g.  I had similar on Friday, but I'll be easing back a bit today as I am feeling pretty full!

I am having a mild panic about the drinks that I use.  I use Torq Energy which is a powder that I add water to and it comes in big tubs.  I noticed last night (because I stupidly checked...if I hadn't checked, I would have been non-the-wiser) that my current pot is a month or so past its "best before date" and another pot I use I have a very very slight doubt over as there is 0.0000000001% chance it caused a stomach issue I had recently on a run.  I think I'll just go with the pot that is past it's "best before date" as I'm sure it won't be an issue.

Shades from the Runner's World thread I frequent a lot is also doing the race.  I haven't met her face-to-face before, but I'm hoping I bump into her on the start line so I can say a quick "Hi" and wish her well.  That thread has been a great source of advice and general good banter and I check it regularly.

On a light hearted note, there was a thread on Runner's World this week about a guy who seemed to have got a bit confused with his race number.  Having a read through this is good for a bit of laugh.

So, this time tomorrow I'll be about 3 hours through the race, with probably another 1-1.5 hours to run. I know I've done everything I can so I've got everything crossed that it'll go well!

No comments:

Post a Comment