Saturday, May 18, 2013

A quick catchup

I haven't blogged since the marathon a couple of weeks ago but I'm pleased to say that I've been keeping the running going.

Since the marathon I've done a total of 7 sessions with nothing too severe and totalling about 36 miles.  I've generally felt pretty good with no major niggles.  In fact this morning, I did a cracking run near the town I was brought up in and took this photo along the way.  Although I hd my Garmin with me, it was nice not worrying about pace and I just went out and ran for the enjoyment, which was great.


I'm turning towards getting a plan sorted out for the next event, which is the Torbay Half Marathon in June.  There's not long to train now, but I've got a plan sorted and I'll give it my best shot.  If it's hot though, any chance of a PB will be scuppered and it's also a fairly hilly course so we'll see how that goes.  Torbay traditionally has been my "A-Race" and I want to do well in it, especially as my Sister-In-Law (who is younger, fitter and faster than me) is running it this year.  A (not so!) secret aim for me is to beat her at this event!

Not that I consider myself "advanced" in anyway, but I've purchased a copy of the renowned Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger and Douglas (commonly known as P&D).  I feel I'm a long way off of going for their training plans which start with a plan that peaks at 55 miles per week and go up to 85+ miles per week).  Never-the-less, some of the concepts in their book are really useful for a relatively low mileage runner like me.  Also, it is interesting to see what is required to get the best out of yourself for the marathon, so it's a good/motivating book to have from that perspective too.

I do feel in a position where I'm really motivated to build on the fitness I've built up over the last few weeks and months and other than the Half in June and a 10K in August, I'm trying to work out what my next steps are.  I still think the Half marathon is my favourite distance and I'd like to chip away at that time and I think that is my main aim.  I am already thinking about another marathon and I haven't got a short list or anything, but a secondary aim is to do another marathon and get under 4 hours.

I'll see how the training pans out over the summer months and see where I am with the fitness.  Although I'm now building up again for the June Half, I must admit that I still don't feel that I've got the marathon out of my legs.

Another decision to make is around my weight and food.  I've stabilised at 13st (which traditionally is a very good weight for me) but deep down I know that this isn't the perfect running weight.  The easy thing to do would be to keep doing what I'm doing and I think in reality this may be the option I choose.  I've lost the last stone in weight relatively easily, but I think if I try and lose another (say) half a stone it will be tough to do and some changes will have to be made to my diet.  I don't know if I'm ready to do that just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment