Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Spring marathon season has well and truly kicked off, plus a bit of a niggle!

On Sunday 7th April 2013, it kind of felt that the Spring Marathon season well and truly kicked off with loads of people from Teignbridge Trotters and Runner's World doing marathons on that day.

I was really interested in the Paris Marathon this year as I knew a few people who were travelling out to attempt the event.  One was going for Sub-3, another Sub-4 and the third out to enjoy.  I'm pleased to say that all three managed their goals!

I watched the event on the TV (it was shown live on Eurosport) and I must admit that as a casual observer I'm not sure if I would travel over for the event myself.  From the TV coverage it looked like a bit of a shambles from where I was sitting:

- I reckon some people must have taken an hour to get through the start, maybe more.  The commentators mentioned that there were no toilet facilities in the start area, so it's not ideal if you've been standing around for an hour and lots of runners end up doing their business in shop doorways.
- For some reason the organisers kept closing one arch off.  I am guessing this was to help with clearing up bin liners etc, so is therefore understandable but you could see people getting frustrated.
- Right at the start there were loads of people (I am presuming media etc) in the middle of the road.  Even the elites had to dodge around them.  It could have been nasty for the "second tier" of elites who would have arrived at the scene unsighted.
- Live on TV, within around 50 metres from the start one runner from the masses who was looking at his watch ran right into a camera. Hopefully he was okay, but he looked like he clattered it quite hard!
- The route wasn't really closed to the public.  At one point, there was a lady out for her run going along on the racing line.  The elites, which at this point were in a bunch of around 25, had to dodge around her.

Having said that, it was well organised in terms of being able to track runners.  There was a free iPhone app available and it allowed you to track runners by their name or number.  It gave you their time for each 5K, plus their half way and the end times so that was really good and added a different dimension alongside watching the race on TV.

As well as Paris, about 30 of my club mates went off to do Taunton Half and full Marathons with a good smattering of PBs achieved as well.

In terms of my running, this week is a big week with a 22 miler (the longest of training) planned.  I do have a bit of a niggle though and I've been pointed towards the following URL as a good source if information.
http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/7652450/injuries-sports-injuries-injury-treatment-inju.htm

My issue is at the back/inside of my left leg, level with the knee.  It doesn't seem like a joint issue but more of a tendon/muscle issue.  I've been doing a lot of stretching and icing and it does seem to be getting better.  I was out for an 8-miler today and nearly turned around after 1-mile, but strangely it seemed to get better over time so I did manage to complete the run okay.  When I stretch my quads or lift my lift my foot up towards my bum it hurts a bit.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it but I'm a bit concerned about getting my 22-mile LSR in this week.  Let's see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment