Sunday, April 14, 2013

A very light training week for me

Unfortunately, this week has been a very light training week.  The niggle I mentioned in my last post has been causing me a problem, so I've only done 2 sessions this week with the second being an easy 4 miler today so a total of only about 12.5 miles.  It's a bit concerning as this week was supposed to be the biggest week of the training in terms of mileage, and all this is after a very successful Jantastic where I hadn't missed a run.  It's definitely come at the wrong time (not sure if there ever is a right time really).

However, easing off was the right decision because if I had pushed on there was a very big chance that I wouldn't have made it to the start line of North Dorset Village Marathon.  As I type now I'd say it's 50/50 if I race or not.  I just have to take it day by day and assess the situation each day.

I did an easy 4 miles today and it wasn't a total success, but it could have been a lot worse.  After 5 days off of running with plenty of stretching/icing I felt I was ready to go out and try a short run.  The first mile wasn't great and I was feeling a twinge again but I carried on.  The last 2 miles were the best miles and all-in-all I'm glad I went out.  I have done plenty of stretching after the run today and my next run will be on Tuesday (all being well).  I'll keep an eye on my leg tonight and tomorrow and hopefully nothing will flare up.

I'm not entirely sure what miles to attempt this week, so I'll play it by ear I think.  If I can, I'll resume the plan I've been following which shows a total of 32 miles (5, 5, 8, 14) and just try and forget about the 22-miler that I've missed.  I think/hope I've got plenty of miles in my legs anyway, so it's all about seeing if I can get to the start line in reasonable shape.  If I feel I am not going to make it, I just won't run and potentially rejoin the gym so I can cross train to keep some form of fitness.


No comments:

Post a Comment