Sunday, September 08, 2013

Bridgwater Half Marathon


Bridgwater Half done in 1:49:34 (that's from my Garmin; official results not out yet), which is 10mins slower than I was hoping for, so not a great day at the office today.  On the positive, it's a good event and it was well supported/marshalled etc.

If the event had been on Saturday AM instead of Sunday I would have been a DNS because I was having stomach issues that would have meant running would have been, erm, dangerous (if you get my drift).  However, the issue cleared up late on Saturday and I had done my best to rehyrdate myself enough.  I was up for the race come Sunday and was feeling relatively good at the start line.

The first 6 miles were fine and I was on target to sneak under 1hr40 for the first time (PB is 1hr42).  I felt in control and felt I was going to be able to push on in the second half, but then at around 9 miles I had some stomach pain that unfortuantely just stopped me dead in my tracks and I just had to pull into the side of road.  After a few seconds I started walking (in total I walked for nearly 3/4 of a mile) and from 10miles onwards I knew any time was out of the window so I was just doing what I could to finish.  In the circumstances, those last 3 miles were tough but I'm also pleased I managed to complete the race.  This running malarkey is funny because this time last year I would have been happy with sub-1hr50 but it wasn't what I hoping for at this even.  I think in hindsight even though I felt okay at the start line, it's clear I wasn't fully over my stomach issue.  My mind was playing tricks on me as well (I was swearing to myself, not out loud I hasten to add!) and at that point I was beaten mentally as well, I'm afraid to say.

I think the course is pretty good for a PB attempt, so maybe I'll go back next year and have another crack at it.



So in summary, Bridgwater is a good event which didn't come right for me personally on the day but I know I'm running relatively well so I'm hopeful this is a minor blip.  Onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment