Monday, October 21, 2013

Dartmoor Vale Marathon

I got around DMV marathon yesterday, but I can't say that it was a particularly pleasurable experience.

I got to the start line at my usual 1 or 2 minutes before the start.  I had been at the course for about an hour, but just pottering about.  I get nervous before these things, and just tend to do my own thing.  I am rarely seen in any club pre-race photo as I always arrive so "promptly".

This is the course profile:


When the start happened, I went off steady (which was the plan) and was running with clubmate for a mile or two.  I also ran/jogged up the first hill and got to 10-mile mark in good shape, which was where my wife was for the first lap.  We exchanged a few words and I was off again.

I was still running comfortably and got to the half marathon point in 1hr59.  Just before this point, all the half marathon runners I was with turned off to head for home and at this point I was running more or less by myself, which I had prepared for so it wasn't a shock.  I was still feeling fine in myself, but at about 17 miles I felt some tightness in my hamstrings and I got to 18 miles (which is just before the big hill, for the second time) in pretty bad shape.  By this time, I knew sub-4 wasn't going to happen so at this point it was just doing what I could to get around.  My wife was here and she gave some words for support and off I went again.

At about 20-miles I was well and truly on my own with no one in sight ahead or behind me, and then the rain started.  It was ridiculously heavy, and I was questioning why I was out there.  Out loud I'm afraid I uttered the words "I'm never f'in doing another one of these f'in things ever a-f'in-gain" and I found those last 6 miles hard.  Someone I know who has ran over 300 marathons has said it was the heaviest rain she has ever known in over 20-years of running.

At around this point I was struggling to run up hill or down hill as my hamstrings were sore, and also my hips were hurting.  I was really just walking, with a bit of shuffling every now and again at this point.  At about mile 23 it was the home stretch, and by this time I was with a drawn out line of people who all looked equally dejected in one way or another and we were passing and repassing each other all the way to the finish.  I managed to jog through the finish line in an official time of 4:21:26.  A marshall offered me a seat, but I declined as I didn't think I would be able to stand back up again!  My wife was at the finish and she shepherded me to the car where I got a change of clothes and did some stretching.

I was home in 10-mins (the great thing about this one is that it's so local) and had a bath and went straight to the pub.  I was hungry so had a Gourmet Burger meal....and then had another one for dessert   I was still under my calorie goal for the day, so that was all fine!

This morning whilst writing this, I'm pleased I've done it but I realise (yet again!) that I have so much to learn.  I don't know why I cramped up so badly.  I feel the training I've done has been representative of the course profile (i.e., I feel I was prepared for the hills) but I was just in pain.  Yesterday, I was wondering if I'd "thrown the towel in" and "wasn't willing to push through the pain", but this morning I honestly don't think that was the case.

So, on reflection, I'm glad I have ticked one off and I am pleased I completed the event.  OK, I'm not delighted with the time but, deep down, I know it is the best I could have done on the day.  I am taking some positives from it as well.  I think my food/drink strategy was fine as from an energy perspective I was okay on the race and I don't feel too bad this morning, apart from the soreness in my hammies).
Apologies if this is coming across as a negative report, but it is accurate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment